Dear Anonymous Do-gooder,
I’m not sure if anyone’s told you lately, but…
You’re the reason the world spins right ‘round. You don’t just talk about changing the Universe—you’re making dents in it, every single day. (That’s called CONVICTION baby, in an ALL CAPS kinda way.)
- You nudge miracles into motion with your heart of gold. (Solid gold.) Look at you, lighting up the world with bolts of benevolence + smile-inducing stars. Wowsies.
- You compel others to do better and BE better.
- To spread generosity to every corner of the Universe like feel-good butter.
- To fling the goodness boomerang into orbit, so it can slice open those dark spaces & let rays of hope + ooey gooey love trickle through.
- Thank you. For making it your job to care harder than anyone else.
- You’re brimming with an endless supply of spirit-soaring intentions. And my heart turns to silly putty just thinking about it…
- So know this: You are everything a human being should be. All that + a bag of compassion chips.
- If it were up to me, I’d surprise + delight you with handwritten love bombs, string-tied snail mail & all-kinds-of wonderful. Often. (Simply because you deserve it.)
How would that make you feel? Pleased as punch? Awash with appreciation? Like your contributions truly, deeply mattered? Ready to get your goodwill on (again & again)?
Then maybe the better question is: When was the last time you made your donors feel that way?
I’m Shanon Doolittle, Born Do-Gooder, High-Fiving Fundraising Coach & Girl On A Mission to Spread Donor Happiness.*cheery wave*
I help non-profiteers & world-changers take better care of themselves + their donors with creative stewardship plans + donor thank you campaigns that put the FUN back in fundraising. (Cue the confetti!)
Put simply: If you’ve got donors dropping like flies? It’s time to point more appreciation their way. They’re humans too (hint, hint) & just like you, they want to be showered with recognition for their good deeds + trust in you that their contributions are leaving a T-Rex imprint on the causes they rally behind.
Shanon has always been such an inspiration–right when I needed it. Her suggestions are not ones I’ve heard before, and so far, have brought unexpected joy to donors and added to our organization’s bottom line. Donors are giving second gifts and lining up to volunteer. Simply put, her advice works! Donors are my heroes, but Shanon comes in a close second!
– Page Pless, Development Director
I heart this work because I’ve felt the life-altering vibrations of random acts of kindness, starting as nothing but a soft hum below my wiggly toes…then growing louder & stretching further to crack open hard realities + create a cocoon as comforting as a chunky cable knit throw blanket.
When I was 9, I was plucked from my home and plopped into foster care. It could’ve been your typical tragedy, but difference-makers kept popping up in unexpected places during my time of need. (Remember Whac-a-Mole? Like that, minus the whacking.)
My school nurse offered to give me rides so I could stay at the same school, just ‘cause she could.
My art teacher surprised me with new clothes + regular reminders that I wasn’t alone.
And my foster dad sang “Oh, Shenandoah” to me whenever the sun came up + poked me on with a bazillion attagirls to help me keep my head up.
I’ve passed these glittery gifts on by:
- Raising over $10 million buckaroos & counting for charitable causes.
- More than doubling donor retention rates for itty bitty to galaxy-sized non-profit organizations (happy side effects include donor upgrades + gift upsizing).
- Creating + producing 100+ donor cultivation, stewardship & fundraising shindigs.
- Tripling sponsorship income within 12 months for multiple nonprofit fundraising events.
- Developing + maintaining fulfilling, meaningful & feel-good relationships with thousands of big-hearted donors, volunteers + board members.
- I’ve also trail-blazed the way on four nonprofit boards + too-many-to count fundraising committees.
And now, I’m coaching other charitable champions do the same.
What else blows my hair back, you ask?
- I love me a Diet Coke. And if you do too, that makes us automatic besties.
- Playing mama bear to two littles. Best job in da world & brimming with moments of wonder. (Like when I found out they were sneaking lunch to school for hungry classmates. Clearly, they take after me.)
- Redonkulous read-a-thons. My hubs works at Amazon, so I’m really just doing my part to support him by racking up the Kindle downloads.
- Hoarding stationery. Put me in an office supply or paper goods store, lock the doors & watch things get wild.
- Shameless napping. It’s a thing. What?